Tuesday, November 23, 2010

An attempted Mugging?

It seems that by this point in life, quite a few people I’ve known have experienced robbery or mugging of some medium.  I’ve had friends robbed while working in stores, and even my sister had some that punched her in the stomach and attempted to snatch her purse while in Brussels.  Although I’ve been a victim of theft on a number of occasions, I’ve considered myself lucky to not actually be held up.  I had a rather odd experience however, on my way home on the subway on Halloween this year.

I didn’t feel like sticking around home for Halloween, and no one was interested in doing anything, so I decided to check out the block party at Church and Wellesley for something to do.  That part was rather uneventful.  I checked out the sights, had some drinks and headed home around 12:30am.  I tend to walk everywhere, and avoid transit if I can, but since I was running behind, I decided to catch the subway about one stop from Union Station.  Since it was Halloween, the clerk said not to worry about the fee, and I proceeded to head towards the stairs.

This is where things began to get a little strange.  On my way to the stairs, I was accosted by an odd-looking character with what looked to be a pathetic attempt at Skeletor face paint.  He started asking me a bunch of questions, trying to block my way to the stairs.  I initially tried to talk, but he was not only blocking my path, but asking a bunch of irrelevant questions, so I pushed by and went downstairs.  Since the clerk did not take my money for the fare, I still had a five-dollar bill in my hand.  This individual, who proceeded to follow me down the steps saw this money, and then asked “How much you got?”, while attempting to pull the bill out of my hand. 

In my head, I was thinking about how ridiculous this was, so without hesitation, I pulled the money back, and basically said “Uh no, this isn’t how it works.”  The guy seemed angered and now went on to say “I was trying to be nice… Do you know who I am?”  I simply said “No…”  He then edged closer, and rolled up his sleeves, and repeated his mantra once again “Do you know who I am?”.  Once again, I told him I had no idea who he was, or thought he was.  With this said, things were getting fairly tense, and I wasn’t quite sure what to do.  Growing up, I had to defend myself physically fairly often; sometimes on a daily basis from various people I had the misfortune of attending school with, so I was prepared to get physical.  Although, carrying a heavy backpack after a night of drinking probably wouldn’t help my odds.

Finally, I had enough and went back to the clerk, and said that this guy was trying to mug me.  The clerk basically just chewed the guy out, yelling “What’s wrong with you!”  They then told me that due to the late hours on Halloween, the police probably wouldn’t bother to come, so I went back downstairs.  The guy whom I’ll just call “Skeletor” at this point was now on the opposite side of the tracks, and began whining like a ten year old child, “Why did you rat me out?  You pussy!”  He then began to climb off the platform to the tracks with the train coming momentarily, so I reported the guy once again.  He finally went back onto the platform, and endlessly whined and complained to the clerk that I “ratted” him out rather than give him my money.  Maybe there’s a new logic here I’m missing? 

Anyway, I actually missed my bus home after this incident, but luckily the driver saw me chasing it down and stopped.  This evening could have ended worse, I suppose; I didn’t get into a physical altercation and/or lose any money, but an obvious word to the wise, be careful when you’re traveling by yourself at that hour.

My usual Goth/Emo Halloween/Fancy Dress look...  (Taken at Union Station, Toronto)

2 comments:

  1. what a crazy! people need to lay off crack or whatever it is..glad you ended up being fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol Yeah, I'd hate to be that person who gets killed over five dollars. I couldn't find anyone that wanted to hang out in Toronto last Halloween, so I guess I just looked like a target since I was by myself. Hopefully next year won't be quite as eventful :P

    ReplyDelete